Southwest Virginia Regional Jail Authority
Video Visitation Rules
Please read all of the rules completely prior to moving forward. Not knowing the rules will not be accepted as an excuse for not following them. Disobeying any rule may result in the visitor being banned from visiting inmates and/or criminal charges being pursued when applicable.
- All video visitation sessions are subject to monitoring and recording.
- The inmates are required to face the camera at all times. The facial recognition will turn off the camera if it cannot detect the inmate’s face.
- All video visitation sessions must be scheduled 24 hours prior to the appointment or up to 2 weeks in advance
- The visitation schedule for the day is posted on the .on the inmate’s account. It is the inmate’s responsibility to check their schedule and be in front of the Video Unit at the time of the scheduled visit.
- Onsite video visitation sessions are currently suspended at this time due to COVID-19 CDC regulations.
- When onsite video visitation resumes, all visitors must be 18 years of age or older. If under 18 years of age, visitor must be accompanied by an adult.
- When onsite video visitation resumes, the length of each video visitation session is 15 minutes.
- Visitors shall not leave any items for inmates.
- Remote video visitation sessions are held 7 days a week from Monday through Sunday and during the hours listed below:
- 7:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.;
- 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.; and
- 8:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
*PLEASE NOTE – SCHEDULES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE BASED ON LIMITED TIMES INMATES ARE OUT OF THEIR CELLS DUE TO COVID-19 RESTRICTIONS*
- The length of each remote video visitation session is 15 minutes.
- Remote video visitation sessions are limited based on inmate location.
- To schedule a remote video visitation session, a pre-paid account will need to be established with Smart Communications. To set-up or fund a pre-paid account with Smart Communications, please go to www.smartinmate.com or call 888-843-1972.
- The cost of the remote video visitation session is applied at a per minute rate upon connection and costs $0.33 per minute.
- Please be advised if an inmate is in ANY program (at court, on trustee assignments, CRP programs, attorney visits, etc.), they are NOT eligible to receive the video visitation session at that time. Video visitation sessions must be scheduled around inmate programs.
- If a visitor does not show up for a scheduled video visitation session, no refund will be issued.
- If a visitor loses internet connection during the video visitation session, the visitor will not be allowed to reconnect and no refund will be issued. The Authority has no control over the visitor’s internet connection.
- All visitors must present valid identification and shall be one of the following:
- Driver’s License (current or expired);
- Military or Government ID;
- Schools ID (picture-type only);
- Immigration Card (Mica);
- Any picture ID issued by a City, County, State or Government Agency.
- All visitors must be on the inmate’s approved visitor list to conduct a video visitation session.
- Maximum of two (2) adults and two (2) children may participate in a video visitation session at one time for onsite video visitation only.
- All visitors are expected to be fully dressed in appropriate conventional clothing. The following types of clothing are prohibited:
- Clothing made of sheer transparent, net or mesh materials;
- Clothing that unduly exposes the stomach, back, shoulders, chest, midriff or underarms;
- Clothing designed/intended to be worn tightly to accent the body (for example spandex leggings, tank tops, bodysuits, etc.);
- Dresses, skirts, jumpers or culottes no more than four (4) inches above the knee;
- Shorts – except for minor children;
- Hats or head gear-except religiously recognized and approved;
- Clothing with gang, obscene or distracting messages, shapes or designs;
- Clothing resembling security uniforms or inmate clothing.
- All visitors and inmates must remain seated at all times during the video visitation session. Small children, five (5) years old and younger, must remain on the visitors lap at all times.
- Inmates must be in full uniform for the entirety of the video visitation session.
- Any inappropriate activity will result in termination of the video visitation session.
- Visitors involved in the following will be placed on permanent visiting restrictions:
- Visitors that create a disturbance or disruption of the visiting process.
- Visitors under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Visitors that refuse to show sufficient identification.
- The visitation schedule may be cancelled or altered on the facility’s appointed holidays or for safety / security reasons.
- Staff can deny, change, or cancel a video visitation session at any time at their discretion.
- After the video visitation session has ended, the connection will be terminated.
Both inmates and their friends and family are able to send electronic messages to one another.
- All electronic messaging are subject to monitoring, unless set up as privileged between an attorney and client.
- To connect with an inmate, a pre-paid account will need to be established with Smart Communications to have credits issued. To set-up or fund a pre-paid account with Smart Communications, please go to www.smartinmate.com or call 888-843-1972.
- The cost of each sent electronic messaging is 50 credits per message (i.e. – $0.50 per message).
- Inmates receive 2 free electronic messages to use every Saturday.